Spiritual Direction relates to the actions you take after having an awakening experience, or while on your spiritual journey. I think the role of action in waking up to the truth of who we are is dramatically underestimated by most people I’ve encountered.
In my opinion, people emphasise having an awakening experience far too much. If someone is yet to catch their first glimpse of the infinite, of who they really are, then I can understand this. In fact, I understand why people do it, because I did it for long enough!
After tasting the freedom of awakening, where all mental worries and fears spontaneously disappear, perhaps it’s no wonder that people want to replicate that again and again.
But in my experience, working hard to recreate a spiritual experience is not only likely to fail, it’s actually also counter-productive.
Once you know without doubt that the infinite exists. When you know that there really is no need for fear, it’s better to start getting on with life.
Your real self has a goal
Awareness is not only timeless and free from fear, it’s also creative. It wants to come into form. It wants a vehicle to be able to express itself. That’s where you come in!
As a human being who has awakened to the truth of who you really are, and realising what the hell is actually going on here, it’s now your job to allow that truth and freedom to permeate your life.
Allowing that permeation to happen is what I’m referring to as your Spiritual Direction
Finding your Spiritual Direction
I know that this is a question that troubles most people. It’s really an easy one to solve, and I’m going to explain the answer to you in simple terms that it’s easy to understand.
Questions that people get stuck on regarding spiritual direction
Here are a few forms the question of spiritual direction might take for you:
- How can I find my spiritual direction?
- What am I supposed to be doing with my life?
- How do I know what action I should take?
- Am I doing the right thing?
- Should I quit my job?
Can you think of any other forms of this question that you regularly get stuck on in your own head?
The way out of the confusion
You can literally find yourself going round and round in circles in your mind with this one. I know, because I did it!
But here’s the key point: all that going round in circles in your head just stops you from actually taking action!
Starting out on a new path, finding your spiritual direction today!
To move out of that tightly bound, stuck place of not knowing what your spiritual direction is, there’s one thing you must do. Start taking action!
Although you believe that all the thinking you’re doing will help you choose the right direction to take, you’re wrong. Thinking about it only wastes time.
It’s far better to simply start taking action. So if you think you have a good idea about what you’d like to do, start doing it today, otherwise you’ll never start at all.
The sad thing is that lots of people get to the ends of their life without taking action on their biggest dreams and goals.
Drop the Need to Succeed
It doesn’t matter if you don’t succeed on whatever goal or plan you think you’d like to take on. What matters is that you tried. If you fail, then you’ll know for definite that this course of action is not the right one for you. And that’s a far better position to be in than to still be as unsure in 10 years time as you are today.
So start taking action today. Here are some other key points, to make sure your ego doesn’t take over the doing process:
- Accept that it might be a long time before you reach your dream. If you have a really big goal, it might take a decade! But this is why you’re here, right, to work purposefully towards your dream.
- Don’t rush.
- Work towards your goal every single day. Don’t miss a day! Even if you only spend 10 minutes doing it, that may be enough to keep you happy and growing.
- Breathe deeply, stay fit, eat well. Don’t neglect these important areas of life as you embrace your spiritual direction.
- Remain flexible – you may need to change direction. You may realise that another possibility will make you happier. Don’t spend ages thinking about it – embrace that new direction and move forward.
- Nobody else needs to understand your chosen direction. If it’s something you know in your heart you need to explore, then do it!
- Be willing to be determined – your ego will sometimes make it difficult. Keep taking action. Don’t get caught up in head tennis (thoughts flying backward and forward)
Remember, IT DOESN’T MATTER IF YOU FAIL. All that matters is that you break the pattern of trying to figure out what to do with your mind. And the best way to do that is to start taking action, and not worry about whether you succeed or not.
Remember, this action is for you. It’s about taking action that will make your heart sing IF it’s in alignment with your deeper spiritual purpose, your true self. The only way you’re going to find out is by starting.
Don’t Waste Time
Start today. Spend 10 minutes doing something you’ve spent far too long mulling over in your head.
After doing it, do you feel a sense of joy?
ACTION COMES BEFORE INSPIRATION